More Tips (#71-80) for Coping with Fibromyalgia & Insomnia
My name is Dominie Soo Bush. I suffered with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for many years before finding relief. Below are more helpful tips continued from my previous page.
71. METHYLCOBALAMIN -- This is a type of Vitamin B-12 that is helping some people with fibromyalgia. According to Dr. Paul Cheney, Vitamin B-12 is a potent detoxifier of the brain. A study done by Swedish rheumatology researchers showed that levels of B-12 in cerebrospinal fluid is below normal levels in a majority of FMS/CFIDS patients.
72. MERCURY POISONING -- There are many sources of mercury around us--auto exhaust, pesticides, fertilizers, amalgams (silver dental fillings), drinking water (tap and well), certain foods, fabric softeners, fish, talc, body powder, paint pigments and solvents, laxatives, mercurochrome/methiolate, cosmetics, mascara, floor waxes and polishes, wood preservatives, plumbing, adhesives, batteries and air conditioner filters. With dental amalgams, mercury in vapor form is released when the teeth are ground together while chewing. This mercury is absorbed into blood and tissue--including the pituitary and hypothalamus glands. These two glands seem to play a part in FMS symptoms. Many researchers believe that the brain dysfunction which causes fibromyalgia is a direct result of mercury toxicity! For this reason, some people with FMS have had their amalgam dental fillings replaced with other materials. Some (not all) have reported improvement in their symptoms. However, removing silver fillings alone doesn't completely solve the problem, since mercury has also become lodged in the body's tissues. Mercury chelation can help rid the body of toxicity, but can also cause unpleasant symptoms. I have a massive amount of information about mercury poisoning and chelation that I would be glad to share, so if you're interested, please email and request it.
73. SOY AND FOOD ALLERGIES -- A lady with fibromyalgia once told me she suspected that the "soy smoothies" she was making for breakfast every morning were causing her to have increased muscle soreness. I also had a similar experience when I began eating a lot of soy products (tofu and tempeh) in an attempt to replace red meat in my diet. My muscles suddenly began to get extremely sore! Since I had been virtually pain free for over 2 years, this effect was quite noticeable. I reviewed my diet and realized that this soreness began when I started eating soy on a daily basis. I stopped eating soy products altogether and the soreness left in a day or two! The moral of this story is that even foods we think are good for us may not be. People with fibromyalgia seem to have more food allergies and sensitivities than other people. Some common "allergic" foods are: wheat, dairy, sugar, corn, soy, eggs, peanuts, oranges, chocolate and fermented food. If you suspect any of these are causing you problems, try eliminating them from your diet one at a time and "listen" to your body. I have even heard of people with FMS who stopped eating sugar in all its forms and their symptoms completely disappeared! Remember that "excitotoxins"--such as aspartame and MSG--can also cause or increase FMS symptoms.
74. THYROID - Symptoms of either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism can be remarkably similar to FMS! For instance, with hypothyroidism the symptoms include fatigue, inability to tolerate cold, fertility problems, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, hair loss, recurrent infections, constipation, depression, difficulty concentrating, slow speech, etc. With hyperthyroidism, symptoms include nervousness, irritability, a constant feeling of being hot, insomnia, fatigue, hair loss, hand tremors, rapid heartbeat, etc. A simple blood test can detect an under active or overactive thyroid gland. Also read online about Wilson's Syndrome.
75. MARITAL STRESS - I recently read a study about how arguing and discord in marriage can actually suppress the immune system by producing elevated stress hormones. I don't think this comes as a surprise to any of us! We all know how bad we feel physically when there is disharmony in our personal lives. Chronic "invisible" illness can put a bad strain on ones personal life. I have many helpful links on my homepage at www.fms-help.com (look in the yellow box) that pertain to marriage and family relationships. Most of us with FMS/CFIDS/ME struggle with relationships because the people around us do not understand our confusing illness!
76. LYME DISEASE - This disease is caused by a tick bite and symptoms are very similar to FMS/CFIDS/ME! There is a test that can determine if you have Lyme disease. Some researchers, however, believe the test can give a false negative result, but it might be worth investigating. There's a lot of information on the net.
77. BREATHING - Several factors contribute to oxygen depletion--air pollution, mineral deficiencies, overeating, infections, fluoride in drinking water and improper breathing. A lot of people with FMS and CFIDS do not breathe properly. I know that I have a tendency to hold my breath a lot, especially when concentrating. I have to remind myself to breathe from the diaphragm. Back when CFIDS was ruining my life, the effort of merely breathing exhausted me! I would breathe very shallowly to conserve energy. (I also remember being so fatigued that even eating--which involves chewing, swallowing and digesting food--would completely wear me out!) Be sure to sit up straight and breathe deeply from the diaphragm.
78. ATIVAN - This is an anti-anxiety drug that can help with sleep and nervousness. The generic name is lorazepam. I use it very sparingly for help at times with sleep (or getting back to sleep). Be careful, though, as I have known people who need more and more of this drug to get the same results. Used very cautiously, it can be a help. My insomnia story is at www.fms-help.com/insomnia.htm. I also have a page listing all the things I've tried for sleep over the past 25 years and how they worked (or didn't work) for me - see www.fms-help.com/sleep.htm.
79. SOLUBLE FIBER - Some believe that fibromyalgia is a toxicity illness. Therefore, it would make sense that anything we can do to detoxify the body will help us heal. Gentle soluble fiber can cleanse and detoxify the colon. Many people with FMS/CFIDS also suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) -- gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, etc. Soluble fiber can be very helpful for this. It also helps counteract yeast overgrowth, or candidiasis. I use an excellent all-in-one powder that has vitamins, minerals, probiotics and fiber. This has helped me greatly. If you want more info, write me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
80. DELAYED SLEEP PHASE SYNDROME (DSPS) - Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) is a fairly common disorder of sleep timing. People with DSPS tend to fall asleep at very late times, and also have difficulty waking up in time for normal work, school, or social needs. This may possibly be related to the sleep problems we fibromyalgics have.
To read more of my 100 tips, click on these links:
Tips #1-10 - Reduce Stress, Get Plenty of Sunlight, Computers, Sleep, Mental Relaxation, Rest, Cold, Heat, Immune System, Exercise
Tips #11-20 - Massage, Excitotoxins, Mattress, Anti-oxidants, Soft Drinks, Doctors, Depression, Nightshade Vegetables, Repetitive Activity, Magnesium
Tips #21-30 - Noise, Calming Herbs, Yeast, Vitamin E, Fasting, Dark/Light, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Pain Relieving Gels, Brain, Parasites
Tips #31-40 - "Be Happy," Smoking, Junk Food, Nutritional Supplements, Research, Raw Foods, CO-Q-10, Low-Fat, Anti-inflammatories, Pillows
Tips #41-50 - Sleep Meds, Milk, Chiropractic, Sunglasses, Coral Calcium Water, Posture, Tension Myositis Syndrome, Epsom Salts, 5-HTP, Malabsorption
Tips #51-60 - Progesterone Cream, Neck Injuries, Hormone Instability, Carbohydrates, Prayer, Aspartame (Nutrasweet) and MSG, Guaifenesin, Ions, Colds and Viruses, Sleep Anxiety
Tips #61-70 - Magnets, Fructose (Sugar) Intolerance, MSM, Electromagnetic Fields, "Leaky Gut" (Intestinal Permeability), Migraines, Cytomegalo Virus, Books, Overactive Bladder, Shoes
Tips #71-80 - Methylcobalamin, Mercury Poisoning, Soy and Food Allergies, Thyroid, Marital Stress, Lyme Disease, Breathing, Ativan, Soluble Fiber, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS)
Tips #81-90 Type A Personality, B-Complex, Brain Surgery, Red Blood Cells, Iron, Substance P, Gluten Intolerance, Racing Thoughts, DHEA, Mycoplasmas
Tips #91-100 - Relaxin, Warm Water Exercise, Essential Oils, Blood Volume, Acidosis, Oxidative Damage, Hyperbaric Oxygen, Bedding, Histamine Intolerance, Blood Thickness
Before saying goodbye to this web page, be sure to read the rest of my 100 tips. You just might find something that will help! Click on the convenient links located right after Tip #80 above.
My Insomnia Story
What I Use
II Corinthians 1: 4 - "[God] Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." Visit Dominie's FMS/CFIDS Homepage at www.fms-help.com for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferers and their families.
SEARCH Dominie’s FMS/CFIDS site and newsletters:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical doctor. I am a fibromyalgia / chronic fatigue syndrome survivor. The purpose of this website is not to diagnose or cure any disease or malady, but is presented as food for thought. This information cannot take the place of professional medical advice. Any attempt to diagnose and treat an illness should come under the direction of a physician. No guarantees are made regarding any of the information in this website.